June 6, 2012

in honor of handwork

From my personal collection of pieces by my great-grandmothers (you may have caught a glimpse in this recent post):

Some of it is embroidery but others must have names that I don't know. The tiny green woven knots floating in the openings on the pillowcase? The astounding intricacy in purple on another pillowcase? If you happen to know what the processes used to create these are called, please leave a comment and let me know.


  1. It could be called tatting. I have a doily that sits on the kitchen table that my Grandmother made. I wished I had learned how to do that, I remember watching her make things and it was always amazing to me.

  2. Thank you for the information! Anyone know where there's a tatting class?