January 25, 2012

notable & quotable


 I came across this quote while reading the newspaper this past weekend:
To exist is to change. To change is to mature. To mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
–Henri Bergson
According to the writer, columnist and rabbi Albert Lewis, Henri Bergson is a French philosopher. I can't say that I've spent much time reading his works, or that of any philosopher, but I did feel a connection with this particular quote. I feel like I am constantly in the process of evaluating myself and my life and determining how I might want to change it. I think the concept of "creating oneself endlessly" might at first sound overwhelming or tiring but I prefer to think of it as hopeful. I think it speaks to the idea that living is about creating the life that you most want to have and creating the person you most want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment