August 13, 2012

quilt inspiration at the Pentwater Art Fair

"Geometric Tree" art quilt by Sandy Dekker


I went to the Pentwater Fine Arts Fair in July with my mom and sisters. I would highly recommend the show. There was a lot of quality work and beautiful items. Plus, who doesn't love a small town up north along the shores of Lake Michigan?

I had a lovely conversation with quilter Sandy Dekker. She made some smaller scale abstract quilts to hang on the wall as art. They were so very beautiful. She did the quilting on the machine but completely free form in poetic and flowing organic lines. She also sewed on tiny sparkly beads for added dimension. I am so impressed. Lucky for all of us, you can view her work and purchase it from her etsy shop!

I am very inspired to make a small quilt just for the purpose of hanging on the wall. What fun it would be to have a place in mind and create something perfect for that very spot.

I also want to make mention of the Grand Traverse Beach Glass Company. I bought a pair of earrings from them. All of their jewelry is made with beach glass that they find along the shores of Grand Traverse Bay. I thought the pieces were beautiful and, of course, very unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment