July 17, 2013

I'm curious about bird nests

If you've been reading the blog awhile, you may have figured this out. I collect the ones I find on the ground and keep them. They appear on display in various places – perched on candlesticks or tucked into a wall display.

Here's the newest additions to my collection:


My mom found this in the parking lot of the bank where she works. She actually watched sparrows building it. I like that it is made of fresh green grass clippings. I've had it about a month and it has retained its green color.


I found this one while out on a run. And I picked it up. And I kept running. Yes, I am crazy like that. Had to have it though. It is a nice size.

To satisfy my curiosity about bird nests, I headed to the library (but of course!). I am happy to report there are books written just about nests. And you can get nest guidebooks for your area to help you identify what species of bird built the nest you are studying.


My very favorite book was called Avian Architecture: How Birds Design, Engineer, and Build by Peter Goodfellow. I read it cover to cover. There is a chapter on each type of nest birds build along with case studies of specific birds. And lots of great photographs. I enjoyed it immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment