September 29, 2014

Amanda at ArtPrize 2014: Cathedral Square

Kind of a self-centered title isn't it? Hee. Like I'm a celebrity or a famous art critic. You do have to admit there is a bit of confidence in even writing a blog though. Or at least a crisis in confidence. As a writer, you do wonder if you have anything worthy to share. Of course, 500+ posts later, I guess I've gotten over that!

At any rate, with a toddler and a baby in tow, my strategy is going to be drive in, hit a "big one" (ArtPrize calls them "exhibition centers" and "showcase venues") and get back out before anyone needs a diaper or a snack. I've done this only once so far but it seemed to be a successful method.

My favorites at Cathedral Square involve fabric – but of course!

I was surprised and delighted to see a magnificent quilt "Random Thoughts" by Elizabeth Brandt who I just wrote about after visiting the Grand Rapids Art Museum. Loved it very very much! I really think I am up for something experimental and abstract like this in the future.


And, a close-up.


I also admired this quilt "Rooflines #15" by Collen Kole as well. There is so much about the piecing and the quilting that I don't even begin to know how to do. And the time. Oh, I cannot imagine the time put into either of these. Even my 3-year-old was a fan.


And another close-up. Must admire the quilting.


The installation "Place in History" caught my eye. As a parent, I appreciated the generous "ok to touch." As a home decorator, I pondered the delightful sense of hidden space created by the hanging fabric panels. As an artist and quilter, I admired the tiny details sewn on each panel. The piece was just interesting to me.


Although I don't have a photo to share, I also want to give a shout out to photographer Megan Sinderson and her lovely portraits of pinecones titled "Passerby". You know I can never get over the surprise and delight to be found in our own backyards time and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment