September 17, 2014

I signed up for a quilt class!

And bought fabric for the three quilts that I will start during the class. Yep, pretty crazy but I am so darned excited about it that I don't think it's a mistake. It took me a few years to recover from my senior year of college but after that I get a bit nostalgic every fall for going to class and learning new stuff. And being married to a schoolteacher on top of having a school-age child means I kind of always have school on the brain.

All that to say, I decided to go for it even though it defies logic!

The class is called Angled and it is offered through one of my favorite bloggers, Rachel at Stitched in Color. I like her style and I have an obsession with quilts and quilting these days that just won't stop. I've mastered the squares and rectangles (although my actual sewing skills are still and always improving!) so I am thrilled to dive into the angles – such as triangles.

The class is already started so you can't really read this, share my enthusiasm, and sign up. I would recommend following her blog as she has offered classes in the past and I assume there will be more in her future.

I decided to make her "Starbright" quilt during the class, except instead of a white background I am going to be using black. And then I am going to kind of wing it with scraps for the actual stars. Scrap donations accepted anytime. The brighter the better, of course. This one will be for my own family to enjoy.

I also decided to make the "Cascade" quilt for my mama. We had the best time fabric shopping together! We modified the color choices and repeated some of the colors more often. We are preserving the cascading ripples of dark and light, of course. Here's our plan (colored pencils don't exactly match the fabric but you get the idea). My husband jokes I will give it to her for a particular milestone birthday that falls in 5 years!


Then I re-realized that during the course of the class you build a queen-sized quilt bit by bit. So I went fabric shopping again. This will be a summer quilt for my own bed so it is light and bright like sunshine and flowers. The parts I left white on the plan I think I will be filling in with scraps. I haven't quite decided. The parts that are striped will also be scraps.


No comments:

Post a Comment