September 7, 2016

Wisconsin love: John Michael Kohler Art Center (the bathrooms are awesome)



So the John Michael Kohler Arts Center has a history and heritage entwined with the Kohler family and Kohler Company famous for its bathroom fixtures so it should be no surprise to us that the bathrooms in the Arts Center are themselves art. There is apparently a pretty unique residency program where artists get to learn to use the industrial equipment. Only later when I was reading more about it did I realize there are other bathrooms in the building that would have been equally as interesting to see. The ones I have photos of are from the main floor nearest to the entrance. The women's restroom was by artist Cynthia Constantino.


My girls were absolutely delighted with the tiles and the hand-painted clothing and accessories. I think the bathroom might just have been their favorite thing to see in the whole place!



And of course this post wouldn't be complete without a peek at the men's bathroom. I just stuck my head in for a quick photo! The men's room was by artist Matt Nolen. Please don't be confused by my photo – the opposing tile wall is reflected in this row of mirrors.


No comments:

Post a Comment