June 29, 2011

thoughts on creating


I just finished reading Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way by Shauna Niequist. I actually think I saw her book mentioned on another blog… another great thing I find on blogs is reading suggestions!

Anyway, one of the essays was on creating and why we need to create. I was particularly struck by this passage:
The world doesn't need another band, per se. It doesn't, strictly speaking, need another book or another photograph or another album. The general world population will survive without one more stage production and one more gallery showing.
This is the thing, though: you might not. We create because we were made to create, having been made in the image of God, whose first role was Creator. He was and is a million different things, but in the beginning, he was a creator. That means something for us, I think. We were made to be the things that he is: forgiven, redeemers, second chance-givers, truth-tellers, hope-bringers. And we were certainly, absolutely, made to be creators.
If you were made to create, you won't feel whole and healthy and alive until you do.
This resonated with me for several reasons. One, I loved the connection to God it presents. I like thinking about, wondering about, the fact we were made in his image and therefore our need to create is a connection to what is holy. Two, what a beautiful thing to recognize God as an artist and as a creative being. Some of my favorite Psalms give tribute to all he has created. And lastly, I get it. This passage puts into words the why behind my need to pursue my own personal creative endeavors and not just use my creative skills as a way to earn a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment