October 7, 2011

fabulous book on creativity


I am reading Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative by Patti Digh. It was mentioned on one of my favorite blogs, The Artful Parent, and I requested that my local library buy it and here we are now.

It doesn't teach a specific skill as much as it digs into what is holding you back and how you (yes, you, everyone) can be your most free and creative self.

My favorite passage so far:
My "ordinary" is unique to me. But because it is just how I see the world, I discount it, minimize it, believing there must be another, faster, better, more clever, quick, and funny way to see the world. We compare ourselves with others and in that single action, we are lost to our own creative spark, the one that exists outside the world of measurements against others.
 There are also periodic "creative challenges." Like homework! The nerdy student in me loves it. My three-year-old was in the mood to "do some arting" so we got out the recommended index cards and some collage supplies. It was fun for both of us!


If you need a creative reboot or a nudge to discover that you are indeed creative, I would recommend checking this book out.

No comments:

Post a Comment