September 18, 2010

Football?

Yes, football! I now have the task of designing exhibits for the Local History department at the Grand Rapids Public Library. We have a fabulous collection in our archives and these exhibits are a fun way to show them off. This latest exhibit, titled Gridiron's Golden Era: Early Days of High School Football in Grand Rapids covers the 1890s through the 1950s.


Now let me be the first to tell you I have never been an athlete and I have never been a true fan of any sport. In fact, football is one of those sports that is kind of difficult for me to understand. So imagine my surprise when I actually enjoyed working on this exhibit! Besides showcasing our local history, the exhibit also tells the larger story of the sport gaining popularity in America.


We got featured in the Grand Rapids Press this week, a lovely article that refers to my panels as "mosaics." Plus, the online version of the article has some of the video footage.


It's going to be up at the Main Library through the end of this year so come on down for a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment